Event Title

Fire to Form: A Collection of Small Cast Talismans

Location

Old Dominion University, Learning Commons at Perry Library, East Foyer

Start Date

8-4-2017 8:30 AM

End Date

8-4-2017 10:00 AM

Description

I am presenting a collection of small cast talismans. My personal objectives were to create a body of work utilizing my wax sculpting skills. I wanted to create sculptural pieces that resembled ancient relics. To achieve this, various alloys were used for each statue: aluminum, brass (reclaimed), ancient, pink and white bronzes and shibuichi. The model for each piece was carved and molded from red foundry wax and a custom blend of various waxes. For these pieces I used the lost wax process with the pour method. I also experimented with sand casting. The models were ready made, and a few were carved and molded in Styrofoam. The Styrofoam sand molds resulted in a defined texture with tiny recesses. I learned how to map out sprue systems to increase my chances of success. I gained knowledge of casting temperatures for multiple types of metal. I discovered a new process-- sand casting--and strengthened my modeling skills. My results have encouraged my continued research in casting metal jewelry and sculptures.

Presentation Type

Art Work

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 8th, 8:30 AM Apr 8th, 10:00 AM

Fire to Form: A Collection of Small Cast Talismans

Old Dominion University, Learning Commons at Perry Library, East Foyer

I am presenting a collection of small cast talismans. My personal objectives were to create a body of work utilizing my wax sculpting skills. I wanted to create sculptural pieces that resembled ancient relics. To achieve this, various alloys were used for each statue: aluminum, brass (reclaimed), ancient, pink and white bronzes and shibuichi. The model for each piece was carved and molded from red foundry wax and a custom blend of various waxes. For these pieces I used the lost wax process with the pour method. I also experimented with sand casting. The models were ready made, and a few were carved and molded in Styrofoam. The Styrofoam sand molds resulted in a defined texture with tiny recesses. I learned how to map out sprue systems to increase my chances of success. I gained knowledge of casting temperatures for multiple types of metal. I discovered a new process-- sand casting--and strengthened my modeling skills. My results have encouraged my continued research in casting metal jewelry and sculptures.