Below are book-length histories of Old Dominion University.
For more materials on the history of the University, visit: University Archives Wiki || Researching ODU History Library Guide || ODU Libraries Digital Collections || University Records finding aids || ODU Libraries Online Exhibitions || University Yearbooks
Steven Bookman and Jessica Ritchie
The story of Old Dominion University began during one of the most uncertain times in American history. In 1930, as the country sank deeper into the Great Depression, the College of William and Mary opened a two-year extension school in nearby Norfolk, Virginia, to provide affordable, quality education to the community. Embracing its founding spirit of innovation, the school rapidly evolved into an independent, four-year college and adopted Virginia's nickname "Old Dominion." As the country transformed during the 1960s, so did the college, and by 1969, it had progressed into a dynamic public university. Now with over 250 academic programs, nine colleges, and approximately 25,000 students representing over 100 countries, Old Dominion University continues to pride itself on forward-thinking research, inclusiveness, and strategic partnerships. [From the back cover]
Brendan O'Hallarn (Author)
History of Old Dominion University's Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology covering the period 1963-2013.
Peter C. Stewart and Thomas R. Garrett
Just in time for the return of Old Dominion football, a university history professor and alumnus have teamed up to publish a book about the school's humble beginnings in the sport, and about the venerable stadium that has been revitalized as the venue for games decades after the steel cleats and leather helmets were retired in 1940. "The Legacy Renewed: Football and Foreman Field: Norfolk Division - Old Dominion University" represents the collaborative efforts of Peter C. Stewart, associate professor emeritus of history, and Thomas R. Garrett '72 (M.S.Ed. '81). Stewart, who still teaches a History of Sports course at the university, wrote the text, while Garrett acquired the historical photos and conducted some of the research. The book, published by Outer Banks Press, includes a foreword by another graduate, ESPN SportsCenter anchor Jay Harris '87. [From Amazon.com]
Jean A. Major
A history of the library at Old Dominion University, written by Jean A. Major, University Librarian 1992-2002.
Maggie Brydges (Author), Elizabeth Vandekerckhove Harders (Managing Editor), Julie Hale (Contributor), and Bob Moskowitz (Contributor)
Informative history of Old Dominion University covering the period 1930-2000.
Richard A. Rutyna (Author) and John W. Kuehl (Author)
History of Old Dominion University covering the period from the 1930s to the 1980s.
John R. Sweeney
Dr. James R. Sweeney has written an informative account of the university's first half-century. It is a history of growth from a small two-year branch of the College of William and Mary to a state-supported university that has gained its own national reputation.
[From the "Introduction," by Alfred B. Rollins Jr, Aug. 14, 1980]