"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare."
--Poet and Librarian Audre Lorde
Poetry Slam Guidelines:
- Please prepare three poems for three rounds of competition.
- Each solo poem should be of the poet's own creation.
- Memorization is not required.
- Each poem should be no longer than three minutes.
- Poets will not need props or background music.
- The Libraries strive to create a safe and inclusive environment. No hate speech of any kind allowed.
The winning poets for 2021 are:
- 1st Place: Marquita Snow
- 2nd Place: Pettie Perkins
- 3rd Place: Rachel Mantos
Submissions from 2021
Exam, Chera Broadnax
Just One Story, Chera Broadnax
Months of the Year, Chera Broadnax
Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned, Rachel R. Mantos
Just the Ones That Made the News, Rachel R. Mantos
Van Gogh, Rachel R. Mantos
Video of 2021 Poetry Slam Performances, Old Dominion University Libraries
Definitions, Iris (Pettie) Perkins
Letter to My 12 Year-Old Self, Iris (Pettie) Perkins
Skills, Iris (Pettie) Perkins