About the Poet
Eddie Dowe is an Icelandic-American poet living in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where he has made his home since 1980. Beyond being a father, husband, son, and brother, he is a graduate of Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia and received his MFA in Creative Writing from ODU in 2010. During his undergraduate years at ODU in the late 1990s, he was a part of the 44th St. poetry collective. He has taught middle and high school English and creative writing for Norfolk Public Schools since 2000, and as of 2022, he is in his seventh year as the English Department Chair at Granby High School where he also teaches seniors in the International Baccalaureate program and seniors in the Dual Enrollment program with Tidewater Community College. He has also taught English for Tidewater Community College since 2011. He served a two-year stint as the Southeastern Vice-President for the Poetry Society of Virginia. He has work published in several local, national, and international literary journals, including Os Pressan, Better Than Starbucks, The Strange Fruit, Mannequin Envy, and Shape of a Box, among others. His chapbook, I Have to Tell You Something, was published by Kelsay Press in April, 2021. He has performed locally over the years in Norfolk, Virginia, including readings at the Neon Arts Festival, the Gaia Festival, the Fairmount Five, and the Rally for Social Justice. His work was also featured on WHRO's radio program, Writers Block.
Virginia City or County Affiliation
Years of Residence in Virginia
1980 - 2022
Current City/State of Residence
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year of Birth
imagery, surrealism, dreams
Published Works or Performances
- I Have to Tell You Something. Kelsay Press, 2021.
- 400 Hotels, published in Altdaily.
- Bank Robber’s Note, published in Lunarosity and You Tube’s Shape of a Box.
- Burden, published in Boiling River and You Tube’s Shape of Box.
- Death Poems, published as individual tanka in Simply Haiku.
- Departure, published in The Strange Fruit.
- Genesis, published in Sylvan Echo and Os Pressan.
- I Have To Tell You Something, published in Facets.
- Seven Mirrors, published in Mannequin Envy.
- Siddhartha, published in The Red Pepper.
- South China, Maine, published in Better Than Starbucks.
- The Cool Season, published in Portfolio.
- The Day is Beginning, published in The Country Mouse.
- The Last Song, published in Lunarosity.
- 13 Ways of Looking at Jeff Hecker, published in Os Pressan.