About the Poet
Born on May 5, 1942, in Washington, D.C., Sally graduated with honors from Swarthmore College in 1965 with a major in English literature and minors in art history and Latin. She took graduate courses in English at George Washington University and worked as a magazine editor and feature writer for various organizations and associations until she retired in 2006 and began writing poems.
Sally’s poetry has appeared in some 100 print and online journals, including Cerasus Magazine, Wood Cat Review, Burningword Literary Journal, The RavensPerch, Poetica Review, Hamilton Stone Review, Muddy River Poetry Review, Verse-Virtual, The Sunlight Press, Poetry Quarterly, and others. She is also represented in numerous anthologies, including Written in Arlington, Through the Looking Glass, and As the World Burns. Her poems “Requiem for a Nobody” and “Grendel’s Mother” were nominated for the Pushcart Prize.
Sally has published seven poetry chapbooks and conceived, edited, and designed an anthology of culinary verse. She has been active in the Poetry Society of Virginia and has attended numerous poetry classes and workshops. Currently, Sally lives with her husband and cat in Arlington, where she writes at an antique desk overlooking telephone wires and maple trees.
Virginia City or County Affiliation
Years of Residence in Virginia
1942-1965 and 1974-present
Current City/State of Residence
Year of Birth
Published Works or Performances
- Something Like a Life, Gyroscope Press, 2021
- Muslim Wife, Blue Lyra Press Delphi Chapbook Series, 2019
- The Unknowable Mystery of Other People, The Poetry Box, 2019
- Personal Astronomy, Finishing Line Press, 2018
- When You Escape, Five Oaks Press, 2016
- Insectomania, Richer Resources Publications, 2013
- Arithmetic and other verses, Richer Resources Publications, 2011
- Joys of the Table (editor), Richer Resources Publications, 2015
Selected Individual Poems or Performances
- French Bath, Hamilton Stone Review, Spring 2022
- The Mystery of Water, Burningword Literary Journal, January 2022
- Plumbing and Walk, Swim, Fly, Third Wednesday, Winter 2022
- Conjuring a Neanderthal, Nacotchtank, and Michelangelo and Bugs, Verse-Virtual, August 2021
- Sky Song; Star Light, Star Bright; Toward Equinox; and Listening Notes, Bourgeon, May 29, 2021