Robert L. Giron
About the Poet
Robert L. Giron is the author of five collections of poetry and editor of three anthologies. His poetry and fiction have appeared in national and international anthologies, among other publications. He was born in Nebraska, but he describes himself as a transplanted Texan, with family roots that go back over four centuries, but he has lived in Arlington, Virginia since 1997.
He discovered recently that his ancestry covers most of Europe and the greater Mediterranean area—just a man of the world. He currently is an associate editor for Potomac Review, and is the editor-in-chief of ArLiJo. He is the founder/publisher of Gival Press.
Virginia City or County Affiliation
Years of Residence in Virginia
Current City/State of Residence
Hispanic or Latino
Year of Birth
Poetry, Cultural, Family, History
Published Works or Performances
- "Split This Bone" in Gargoyle 74, Paycock Press, 2021.
- Written in Arlington: Poems of Arlington, Virginia. Paycock Press, 2020.
- The Sligo Journal. Founder/Editor in Chief (2010-2018). Arts and literary journal for the Montgomery College-Takoma Park/Silver Spring community.
- Poetic Voices Without Borders 2. (Editor). Gival Press, 2009.
- Poetic Voices Without Borders. (Editor). Gival Press, 2005.
- Songs for a Single String of Canciones para una sola cuerda by Jesús Gardea. (Translator). Gival Press, 2002.
- Songs for the Spirit. Gival Press, 2001.
- Metamorphosis of the Serpent God. Gival Press, 1999.
- Wrestling with Wood. Gival Press, 1999.
- Recuerdos (Memories). Gival Press, 1999.
- Impressions françaises (French Impressions). Gival Press, 1999.
Selected Individual Poems or Performances
- Then There Was No More, 2019.
- I Breath, Beltway Poetry Quarterly, (6)3 Summer 2005.
- A Stitch in Time for Ventura Valdez, Beltway Poetry Quarterly, (6)3 Summer 2005.
- From Wrestling with Wood, Beltway Poetry Quarterly, (6)3 Summer 2005.
- Grandma, Beltway Poetry Quarterly, (6)3 Summer 2005.
- The Souls of Countless Tribes, Beltway Poetry Quarterly, (6)3 Summer 2005.
- *2006 Semi-Finalist for the Independent Publisher Book Award for Anthologies *2006 Winner of the Moving Words Poetry Competition for poem Living in Arlington.
- An Interdisciplinary Introduction to Women’s Studies: *2005 Winner of the DIY Book Festival Award for Compilations / Anthologies
- *2004 Finalist in the Moving Words Poetry Competition for poem The Pearl Glaze
- Fortune Was My Name But Faith Sustained Me in Living in Faith: *2003 Finalist in the Obadiah Writers Contest for essay (Obadiah Press, 2004)
- Canciones para una sola cuerda / Songs for a Single String: *2003 Finalist in the Violet Crown Book Award for Literary Prose/Poetry for Translation
- The Olive Branch from the collection Metamorphosis of the Serpent God: *2001 Finalist in the Moving Words Poetry Competition for the poem
- The First Thanksgiving  a poem in the collection Metamorphosis of the Serpent God: 2000 Best of the Entries in the Austin Writers League Radio Collective Contest and was aired on A Gift of Poets program on KOOP Austin, 91.7 FM and KRTU San Antonio, 91.7 FM, along with another of my poems titled The Souls of Countless Tribes.
Robert L. Giron